Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Being at Home

I wish the Christmas season never had to end. :(

When December 25th rolls around this year (and it will, it's only 3 days away), I will have nothing more to look forward to until February 23rd. That's a long time. It's not that I necessarily need anything to look forward to all the time, but when you don't have important and entertaining things like school work to keep you busy, things start dragging. I had hoped that my dad and I could sign up for a race on the 17th or so of January, but I don't think that will happen for one thing, and for another, Bakersfield is flooded. I have no way of training, and I don't think I'll be able to train for awhile yet. Hmm. Maybe I need to break out some winter gear and get moving!! Also, many of my friends here in Bakersfield will be returning to their respective schools as well, so there won't be as many opportunities to hang out with friends. Kristen will be here, but unfortunately she has to work. So we'll do our best, but I still will have nice chunks of time on my hands that need to be spent wisely.

The point of this blog, though, is not to be negative. Nope! I know you're surprised. I'm inviting everyone to send their ideas of ways that I can productively and effectively occupy my time during my 2 month-ish probation. So far, I've been using cooking and cleaning as means of mental stimulation, but that's quickly growing old in a family with six (little) kids. :) Still, it has been somewhat fun, so if you have some beginner to intermediate recipes I can try out that don't have too many "yucky" vegetables involved, I would love to take them on! Books you like are also a great suggestion. I got "The Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card for Christmas, and I'm excited to dig into that. And of course, there's always the Book of Mormon! Last night I finally made it to Enos. I still have a long way to go, and I was hoping to finish by January 1, 2011. Think I can make it? So, means of increasing spirituality would be awesome, too.

Please, please, please let me know!
You guys are great.
I'm still pretty excited for Ukraine--this is going to be awesome!

Thinking a lot about Christ this Christmas season has also been a huge encouragement. I was reflecting on how strange it will be next Christmas when I'm not with my family. At first I was pretty sad thinking about it, but then I thought about the gift I will give to Christ with my service to His sheep, and how I will be bringing the true good news about Christmas through my message of Christ; I think that put things into perspective. It will still be strange and sad to miss my family, but I don't think there's any place else I'd rather be than spreading the Gospel in Ukraine.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Love, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment